Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Life of a Hockey Mom

I am Not your average hockey mom. I do not get excited about getting up early to sit and chitchat and gossip with other moms. I am the Mom who actively avoids all eye contact. The Mom who finds the chair furtheredt away from any other person.

I am the hockey mom who is the only mom who didn't put their hand up when asked about participating in an out of town tournament with our six year olds (who, haven't actually even played a game against another team yet). But sure, good idea let's head to another small Alberta town and play hockey! Good idea, high five.

I am the Hockey mom who strongly disagrees with ordering 'team' sweatshirts for our six years olds. Here is how I foresee that going. We spend a fortune on a sweater (under armour no less) that our child will wear for possibly four months until the season is over or until it is too small. Then this sweater will end up on the racks of value village.

I am the hockey mom who disagrees with team Christmas parties. In what world should a Christmas party for our six year olds cost $800. The kids have enough going on at Christmas.

I am the Mom that gets looks from all the other parents, perhaps wondering why I seem so miserable. Fact is, I'm not miserable at all. I am merely remembering what hockey really is for a six year old and that is FUN! We don't need all these committees and 'jobs' and expense for six year old hockey. Let them play. All the kids really want is to look up into the stands while they play and wave at their mom or dad. They would not notice either way if they had a Christmas party or sweater. They just want to play hockey.

I get it, I am a single mom who doesn't have the same income as many or most of these parents. But get a grip people.

The hockey world is a little out of control.

Thankfully, the one joy I get in terms of hockey is the pure passion that I see from Wyatt every time he gets on the ice! Wyatt lives and breathes hockey. If he isn't on the ice he is down the street playing with the neighbours, or requesting to watch hockey on tv.  There is nothing more amazing as a parent then to watch your son get to play, learn and excel at something he loves so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment