Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The diagnosis









So we took Wyatt to our doctor yesterday. Kelly was supposed to come in, but of course when they called our name he was out chasing Ethan in the hall and didn't come in to find us. So I took Wyatt in. My doctor was confused and had a few ideas but wasn't 100% so she wanted to get a second opinion from a pediatrician. She managed to get us in to see a pediatrician today, which was great. My doctor sent us down for one more X-ray just to rule out pnemonia.

Kelly had to take the Van into the Honda dealership this morning, so he took Ethan and I took Wyatt in Molly to the pediatrician. We had had a really bad night the last night. Wyatt woke up coughing more than normal and really trying to catch his breath and having a hard time eating. He had been wheezy all day. We got into the doctors office, the doctor put his stethescope onto Wyatt's chest and almost immediately said "He has Asthma". This had been suggested to me a few times but I was still a little shocked to hear the doctor say that. He asked if there was any asthma in the family. I said no (but I have now learned that my Dad and Granny both had asthma). The doctor said his lungs sounded really bad. He told me that many children grow out of it in a few years, some lasts for 10 and some asthma stays for life. He also told me that it was unusal for a baby this young to have it.

He prescribed me two puffers. The first we take every four hours (for four days then when needed). This just helps to open Wyatt's lungs up and make it easier for him to breath. This puffer only last about 3-4 four hours. The second is a steriod which we take twice a day. We are scheduled to go back in two months to see if there are any improvements. He told me I really have to watch Wyatt and if he seems to be struggling to breath I need to take him to the emergency room immediately.

They gave us one dose while we were at the doctors office, Kelly and I both noticed a difference immediately. Wyatt actaully took a nap this afternoon, and was in the best mood we have seen him in since birth. Wyatt responds really well to having his nose covered with a mask (I thought he would scream and shout) but he just breaths it all in (almost like he knows it is helping him).

Ethan came down the stairs this afternoon while I was giving Wyatt his medicine and started screaming. I guess he really doesn't like the look of the whole aparatus we use to administer it.
I feel very relieved to have finally got some concrete answers as to what has been going on with my little guy. I think the word asthma scares me a little and I never would have expected my son to have asthma. I did ask my doctor about allergies and he assured me that is wasn't due to any allergy. I also asked about the cat and he didn't seem to worried about the cat. He did say that cigarette smoke was really bad for a person with asthma. Obviously Kelly and I don't smoke and we really aren't around many people who do smoke but I am going to be very careful about who Wyatt is with, if they even have the smell of cigarettes on their clothes I don't want Wyatt around them. My mom and I also did some research on asthma and found a few things that can irritate a person with asthma.
Mold is one, but we live in a brand new house, I doubt there is mold in the house. Dust, we dust fairly regularly but I will be dusting a little more often, if not daily now. And finally pet dander. Even though the doctor didn't seem worried about the cat I plan to keep Wyatt's bedroom door closed at all times, vaccuum everything daily. I think I may also take Fabian to my parents house in the summer (if he is still having symtpoms) and see if there is any difference not having Fabian around.

No comments:

Post a Comment