Friday, February 11, 2011

Rogers' Family Budget

Kelly and I were sitting on the couch the other day and 'Til Debt Do us Part' came on. This is Kelly's favorite show. At one point he even PVR'd like 10 of them. Anyways the lady who is on the show really drives me crazy so I got up and left. Kelly of course was hoping that I would get something out of the show so he called me back in to have a conversation about our money situation.
In the past month (a month that we anticipated to be a realitively cheap month) we have spent a large chunk of money on a few unforseen things (such as the cat). So Kelly came up with our new budget. Until we stated this budget we hadn't really had any sort of money spending logic. I have a mastercard (no bank card or cash). So everything I bought for the family would be put on the mastercard and Kelly would pay it off at the end of them month. This was working out well, we were collecting tons of airmiles but there were times when I would need cash and didn't have access to any.
So we have opened a joint bank account and have moved to a cash budget (no mastercard spending). So each Tuesday, Kelly will give me a handful of cash (we came up with a reasonable amount) that I must budget for the week. I'm fairly certain I can make this work and hopefully this will help us pay off our (I should say my student loans).
So anyways i'm excited to give it a shot, we will start on Tuesday and hopefully I will have a successful first week!

In other news, Fabian's recovery is not going so well, he won't eat, we had to buy this cats milk for him, that is all he will eat. I think he is afraid to try the soft food because all he remembers is how much it hurt his teeth. On top of the poor recovery he has some sort of eye infection. I'm not too worried about the eye, i'm sure it will go away on its own but Kelly seems quite fruserated by it.

I completed my first 10km since Wyatt was born this afternoon. It was awesojme, half way through I felt like crap, but I just kept on running and by the time I was on my last lap I was feeling amazing, ready to run the half marathon (well not quite) but it is coming. I"m going to sign up for a 10km hopefully sometime next month, something to aim for.

Ethan is quite sick, he threw up all over his highchair this morning, he was talking and stirring in his sleep all night. Wyatt's x-ray results came back negative for pnemonia (phew) but he is very congested and has a runny nose. I'm feeling good, thankfully, but Kelly is starting to have a cough.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work on your running Les!! I'm pumped for your cash budget...let me know how it goes! If either Darren or I had a consistent income we would totally attempt that. But as for now it is just going deeper and deeper into debt; we don't really have a choice at the moment.

    ReplyDelete