Thursday, February 3, 2011

Today

This morning we were off to the vet. I'm not sure how, but somehow Fabian just knew we were bringing him along. I got out his cat cage, and he just dissappeared. Ethan and I looked for him for half an hour before we found him under the couch. It was quite the task to get him out of there, everytime I would move the couch he would just slink along under it while I moved it. Anyways I finally caught him and off we went. Ethan was very excited that Fabian was in the truck with us.
We arrived at the vet. Ethan was in HEAVEN. Cats and Dogs everywhere! A HUGE st. Bernard almost knocked over Ethan, he LOVED it! They brought us into a room and the vet came in to check Fabian out. They had to take him into the back room because he didn't want anything to do with the vet. This upset Ethan greatly, he just stood by the door saying 'kitty' until Fabian was brought back in. So the verdict. Fabian's teeth aren't looking good. The quote to take all his teeth out (except the front ones) was between $600 and $1000. She said it just depends on how long it takes. She was very nice, she told us that if we chose not to spend the money on dental that we should definately put him down as he is in a lot of pain. She gave him some antibiotics to help with his pain and we loaded back into the car. I wasn't sure what Kelly was going to say about this... I was ready to book the surgery appointment but I knew I needed to discuss this with Kelly.
Ethan had his first dentist appointment this morning. He was a star. He sat in the chair, rode it up and down, had the chair massage his back, watched some TV on the roof, brushed his teeth with his new tooth brush from the dentist, then he got to choose a toy from the treasure chest. I was very impressed with him. I was expecting wild screaming from Ethan, instead the wild screaming came from my dear Wyatt. The ladies at the dentist all huddle around him, scooped him up and passed him around, he stopped crying immediately!
We zipped home for a few minutes, then we were off to meet Kathryn for lunch. Ethan hardly ate a thing, I was very frusterated. But he is sick so I can't be too upset. He was almost falling asleep at the table so we decided we'd better head home.
Ethan went straight to bed, Wyatt slept for about an hour as well, so I headed out to the car to vaccuum it and take a few pictures. I have had a few people email me about the car, a few of them wanted more pictures. A couple tried to low-ball me, but I wasn't biting. So we will see how it goes. I'm trying to get the car process started here, Kelly is very la-ti-da about it all. SO I spent the next half an hour searching autotrader.ca for our replacement. Kelly recieved a few refferal emails in his inbox :)
Ethan woke up and we headed off to the gym. I wasn't really feeling like running, but for some reason I always say that I will just run like 3 or 4 km then do some weights but then the competitiveness in me comes out. I hate it when people pass me and I don't like to stop and walk, so I just kept on running and running and running.
We came home and ate dinner, I just remembered that I was going to give Wyatt a bath, but I forgot, as I was changing him I tickeld under his chin. He started giggling away. I didn't really think anything of his giggle, until something just dawned on me that it was his VERY first GIGGLE!! It was so cute and he just kept on doing it!! That makes dealing with any cries and poopy diapers worth every second. Just to hear him giggle just once!
I talked to Kelly about the cat, we have decided we will go ahead with the dental work. I didn't mean to but I started crying while I was telling Kelly about having to put him down, Kelly figures it is not worth me crying for days. Although this decision did not come without complaining. Kelly grumbled on about how much he has spent on this cat in the last three years since we got him. Between food, grooming, his three vet visits in the last few years and now this... he is definately a very lucky kitty.
I have SO much laundry to do, dishes, I want to disinfect the entire house (since everyone is sick) but instead I will have a shower and hunker down in my chair to watch my shows!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie,

    You need to give Fabian "the talk". I had the talk with my kitty "Fraser" and it worked wonderfully. When we first found him he proceeded to rack up $500 of vet bills in the first 4 weeks due to his fighting the neighbourhood cats. Being very poor university students we sat him down and told him "this was it" we were not spending another dime on him.

    Well sure enough he went out and got into another fight. He gave us a sorrowful pained look but we explained that we were holding true to the no more vet bills. He curled up on the couch and didn't move for 48 hours. (We poked him a few times to be sure he was still alive). After 48 hours he jumped down, wolfed down a ton of food and we never had to take him to the vet again. So be sure to have the "talk" with Fabian.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete